Monday, July 9, 2012

Junior, Revisited

Back in May I was sitting in the car with my sis-in-love and listening to a developing story out of a neighborhood just to our north, Oceanside, and learning that a local sports hero had taken his own life in his residence.  I was a little shocked by this--as I always am when I hear of sports heroes who take their own lives--but the media had nothing to unveil of any real substance about why he had done it.  Not that he owed anyone a reason why.

When it comes to that choice, it is a solo one.

This past Saturday the family and I went exploring throughout the region; we drove up to San Clemente to see the pier and walk around seaside.  It was the first time I had been out of San Diego County in six months.  There was a time that I wouldn't have left the City and County of San Francisco, but the cloistering to San Diego County is more of one of necessity than of love.  San Clemente was refreshing (although I got all kinds of warnings about "Orange County," I wore an San Francisco t-shirt anyway, politics be damned), cozy, and a subtle escape.

On our way back down the coastline we spotted Oceanside's annual Samoan Cultural Celebration, and pulled off the main road to park and watch the festivities.  Saturday's ceremony included a tribute to that local sports hero from May, Junior Seau.  Friends and family stood up and gave testimony of how Junior loved Oceanside, loved his home and his childhood, loved his family, and how it was all reciprocated.

I don't think I breathed again until they were done speaking.

After Seau's dedication, there was one dance after another from Samoa, Hawaii, and Tahiti.  The dances were a relief, and I got the feeling if Seau's spirit wandered amongst us, he showed up specifically for this part.  If he wanted to be celebrated, here's where the celebration lie...in form following music and individuality following community.  There was the tribute, awkward enough, and then music and dancing, a chance to thaw in the summer sun with energy in dance and smiles and slaps in Samoan song.  Everything seemed genuinely happy at the point, including me, more so after the name-dropping was done.

Onward, dear reader.

No comments:

Post a Comment