Monday, January 23, 2012

New Gig

Put on your analyzation cap, for I'm about to disclose what I do for a living, now.

There's a new on-line company out of Fresno that offered me a contract position at the beginning of January to sell their software to colleges, trade schools, career service centers, and even Native American reservations.  The software basically gives the graduating student or placement candidate the tools to get a job with exercises in interviews, resume creation, dressing and speaking to impress, etc.  I won't go into too many details because I'm saving my schpeel for the customers.

The position is pure commission, which means that I don't have a salary.  I like this because I own the progress of it, and, because the company is a new start-up, I have the entire country to transition to this stuff.  Basically what I do is contact career centers for colleges and speak to them about preparing their students for the real world.  I'm very excited.

My brother and sis-in-love know the guy who runs this company, which I'm not sure is a good thing or a challenging thing.  I'm just taking it one day at a time and learning new things every day, and I'm too broke to care what the job is as long as I don't have to spend money to do the job.  (So far, I don't.)

Yes, it's a sales position.  That's the neat boxed-in description.  But I like the idea of working and networking around in education again.

As Tom Hanks's character says in "Cast Away," "You breathe in and breathe out.  Then one day the tide comes in, and brings you a sail."

Onward, dear reader.

No comments:

Post a Comment