Friday, July 8, 2011

That Song by Smash Mouth, or, the Baseball Prom


A couple of times this week I've been asked by on-line and SoCal inquiry alike, "So, are you all excited about the All Star game next week?"

Oh, hell no.

As I have mentioned in past posts, I'm a "let's-watch-the-mediocre-minor-league-team-do-something-miraculous" girl, to start with. I would rather see a game by the Rejects vs. the All Stars. For me, watching a game comprised of nothing but the best is sort of like watching those movies that are written for a lot of A-line actors but end up having the world's worst plot, like "How the West Was Won" or, more recently, movies like "Valentine's Day" or "He's Just Not That Into You."Ohhhh, look. Derek Jeter. Shane Victorino (yes, I know he's on the DL today, but I'm just sayin'). Tim Lincecum. Brian Wilson. If you want a parade like that, join Twitter and subscribe to the MLB feed. Spotlights are for media, and don't really make for good baseball.

Back in 2007 I LOVED having the All Star game in San Francisco, but not for the game. I loved it for Fan Fair. The Moscone Center was filled with baseball activities, history, World Series trophies, etc. I picked up a tee-shirt there with all of the nations minor league teams on it. (Some of the names are a giggle-fest, folks. Go Google and see.) As for the game, well, I didn't go. I had no desire to go. I didn't even go to the parade. And I have never, ever, seen the game.

In my mind's eye, if I want to see an "All Star" game, I have one of two choices:
  • I can see a Yankees game, because at those salaries those fellas are "supposed to be" the best, or
  • I can go to a Giants game. Because I will always love my scrappy Giants, whether they are at the bottom or at the top.
*****

The comments have been made, of course, that I want to see this year's game because Bochy is managing them and because the Giants are loading up the bullpen. I'm partial to the entire team, though. I'll miss Cody Ross. I'll miss Panda Bear. And, here's the worst of it...the entire team will be rested up while our pitching staff won't be. Ah, purposeful compromise. Yes, it's an honor. How about we just name them, though, instead of putting them through a game? How about every City gets a week of Fan Fair and meet the players and everyone gets a break? You could get named "All Star," like a Cy Young or Rookie of the Year or something, but give everyone the week off.

Pitch on, dear reader.

P.S. - This is where the title of today's Life For Rent post comes from. No, I wasn't thinking of Shrek when I picked it, heh heh.

No comments:

Post a Comment